about     shop     contact         

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

diy ombre lace trim shorts


What you'll need to ombre: old pair of jeans, bleach & a spray bottle



Before
Step 1: Cut one leg to desired length (I cut a little longer to test what length I liked best)
Step 2: repeat to other side

Step 3: Test pant leg you cut. Soak pant leg in warm water. 
Step 4: Mix 1/2 bleach and half water.  Spray on leg to test denim. 
Tested pant leg. 

Step 5: Soak shorts in warm water. 
Step 6: Spray heavy amount at the bottom of the pants and slowly make your ways upward.  Remember to do the same in the back of the pants.  I had a fan to help dry the shorts and see faster results.  I had to do this a few times. 

Step 7: After desired amount of ombre is complete, rinse out bleach. Afterwards, put in washer and dryer.  

Step 8: Cut shorter, if desired.  

Step 9: Cut both sides to same length. 

What you'll need to add lace: dry ombre shorts, pins, lace and a sewing machine (can be sewed by hand). 

Step 10: Turn shorts inside out.  Pin lace to inside of shorts. 
Step 11: Sew lace to shorts.  Make sure to use a zigzap stitch.  This will keep the jeans from fraying upward and securing the lace on the shorts.  Repeat on both sides.  Cut excess lace. 

Completed! Your own DIY ombre lace trim shorts! 

These shorts were inspired by a friend who was going to Coachella.  We have several DIY nights.  I brought over my sewing machine, we found our favorite bottle of red wine and we begun making our projects! These shorts were inspired by a pair she saw at Urban Outfitters.  They turned out great.  Good luck.  Let me know if you have any questions.

A few tips: make sure you do this in a ventilated area.  To speed up the process, use a fan or put these out in the sun to dry faster. 

logo olivia j

12 comments:

  1. You are so brave!! I don't know if I would have been able to do it!

    http://www.brunettelettersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a few pairs of pants from the goodwill, so I didn't have any connection with the pants :)

      ps. Love your blog! totally following you.

      Delete
  2. What a great and simple way to change your jeans into shorts. Great post!

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait this is awesome! Haha I really wanteda nice tutorial for something like this for a concert coming up. This is perfect!

    Best,


    Louisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa, enjoy it! Let me know if u have any questions.

      Delete
  4. wow this is such a great idea!:) love it! I'm following you on facebook (petra lorencova), hope you follow me back ;) Kisses,

    www.lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petra! I'm following you on bloglovin! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. These shorts are AMAZING, if only I was this creative!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. They're super easy. Just get a girlfriend and a bottle of wine. You'll have cute shorts.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Francesa! I'll check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Irene! Would love to follow each other. Bloglovin and facebook! I'll have to get on Lookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Olivia